Are you selling your home during the holiday season of hosting parties, family get-togethers, and out-of-town guests? While it can be a challenging season to have your home on the market, it’s definitely not impossible to do! In our blog this month, we want to give you some simple tips for prepping your on-the-market home for the holidays.
5 Tips for Preparing Your Home to Host For the Holidays:
• Have pictures taken BEFORE you begin decorating for the holidays. If your pictures are taken after the Christmas tree is set up and the garland is everywhere, you could be stuck with just holiday pictures well after Christmas if your home does not sell within that time frame. It’s better to play it safe and arrange for your pictures to be taken before all of your holiday décor goes up. You could always take additional photos that show off your home all dressed up in Christmas decorations and simply remove them in January if your home is still on the market.
• Remove clutter and de-personalize. This is something you should definitely ALWAYS do before taking pictures of your home and while staging your home during showings. Take out everything that isn’t considered a necessity to give your home a light, open feel. Make your rooms look spacious with the placement of your furniture. De-personalize the space by removing family pictures and decorations and go simple.
• Deck the halls! Once pictures have been taken of your home go ahead and decorate, but don’t go overboard! If possible, go with a color pallet that compliments the existing color scheme of your home. All-white Christmas décor and even an earth-tone pallet can be really gorgeous. The entrance is very important as this is the first thing guests will see of your home. Create a grand entrance by putting a beautiful wreath on the door and adding a small rug or welcome mat. Use fresh flowers and garland to spruce things and make the home smell like the holidays too!
• Make it cozy. The twinkling of Christmas lights and candles add a cozy vibe to a home. Work with the lighting and add soft touches like blankets to create a cozy, inviting atmosphere. You can play soft Christmas music in the background and if you have a fireplace, you should consider lighting a fire during showings!
• Offer warm treats. Freshly baked cookies are always a great idea when you’re preparing for a showing, and even more so when everyone is in the holiday spirit. Bake some sort of holiday treat and have hot apple cider or cocoa to really impress guests! People will remember the way they feel in your home, so make sure they have a wonderful experience.
We wish you and your family a very happy holiday season! If you would like to speak with a real estate advisor about putting your home on the market, give us a call at 225-218-0888. With our low inventory in Baton Rouge, homes that are priced right are going fast!